Wednesday, October 29, 2014

HATERS GONNA HATE || Stuff&Things

Heyoo!!

To start off, Happy National Cat Day! (it had to be said) I hope all of you are enjoying this lovely, chilly day. I am! It is a bit colder than it has been where I live, but I am wearing my Halloween socks so really it all evens out, doesn't it? Today I have decided to chat with you all about something with actual substance! I really enjoy blogging about topics that millions of people have millions of different opinions on, (controversy!) so lets talk about internet hate.

I am very fortunate in that I haven't had to encounter "haters" on social media yet, but I'm sure I will at some point because they are everywhere. I do, however, follow the usual amount of celebrities on Twitter and Instagram and see the flood of anonymous hate they receive on a daily basis. (Fully expect Taylor Swift references, because she knows a thing or two about what it's like to have haters.)


I don't really know what the point of it is, in all honesty. What does one get from sitting behind a computer and saying horrible things to someone? "I don't like [insert celebrity name here] so I am going to tell them they are ugly....OH I GOT THEM SO GOOOOOD!" I imagine that this is what anons who send hate are thinking, but I'm not really sure what the satisfaction in any of that is.

The real issue, aside from the fact that some people don't have anything better to do than to act horrible to people they've never met, is that internet hate really affects the self- esteem and mental health of many people in a very negative way. Many times when people start sending hate, they start receiving hate as well, and in turn feel bad about themselves. It is so easy for everything to spiral out of control, and then everyone is just feeling inadequate. When we are kids, we are taught how to be kind to people. (Though I am well aware that not everyone takes that knowledge to heart.) Its unfortunate that face to face kindness doesn't apply when we get in front of a screen, but it should. If you are receiving hate from people on the internet, do not fret. Some people get lost along the way, and we can only help them get back on the kindness path by ignoring their attempts at feeling powerful. You are imperfectly perfect, and that person has no idea of the beautiful thoughts that are being manifested inside of your mind, so don't let them feel as if they do! You may not be in control of what people say, but you are in control of how you respond. Hold your head up high, smile, love yourself, and turn your face from those who don't understand you. They don't need to.

But, if your heart is hurting from anonymous hate you are receiving, it is definitely okay to talk to someone. It's not always so easy loving ourselves, but it is a beautiful epiphany when we realize it is possible. If you'd like to talk to someone online about how you are feeling, take a visit to www.imalive.org. Or if you'd just like to feel calmer, head on over to The Quiet Place.

And just remember, always be kind and care about others.


Kitties, Shaking It Off, and Kindess,

-Brooklynn.


1 comment:

  1. so great to see someone with tha same opinion! loved this!

    ReplyDelete